I rant about Ello, the new social network sensation of the moment, how it doesn’t differ from any other platform that’s run as a viable business, why those who prefer “echo chambers” are the primary folks flocking to it, and how having a vague, dictatorial, agenda-driven view of speech actually hurts its ultimate (worthy) cause.
Broadening it out, I get into a lengthly diatribe about the detrimental effects of socio-political narratives, how it causes people to view objectivity as dissent, why the media perpetuates the notion that there are distinctly good and evil “camps” or “sides” to an issue, and how it’s inherently human to be nuanced in beliefs, undecided and amenable to change.
Links from this episode:
- All Bent Out Of Shape Over The iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus Bendghazi Update: Apple Says 9 Customers Affected
- Thumb extender for big phones
- Ello? Hell No
- Ello Rules
- Why Ello Makes Me More Vulnerable to My Abusers and Harassers
- The Real Story Behind Facebook Moderation and Your Petty Reports
- Emma Watson Naked Photo Countdown Hoax
- Emma Watson And The Chamber Of Feminist Conundrums
- #GamerGate – An Issue With Two Sides